Sunday, February 18, 2007

Satellite Radio

I have been a fan of listening to the radio ever since I was a child. I've always been a little weird in that I prefer listening to talk radio rather than music. Though I do enjoy some music stations. I have been listening to one talk show, The Don and Mike Show since I was in junior high.

In the past couple of years I have thought about buying satellite radio. I have followed all of the general news and kept up with the prices. Every now and then I will really look into things and think about buying one. The price always gets me though. I have narrowed down what I would buy. I have decided that if I ever do buy satellite radio I will subscribe to Sirius. I am not totally sure which receiver. It annoys me that XM's receivers cost a lot less. For a while I was thinking I would just get the cheapest receiver. I have heard that the cheapest ones aren't very good and that with most of them you should just spend the extra money to get the next one up. Many people also end up buying the FM adapter that gets rid of the static. Most of the Sirius radio's you can buy come with a car kit. I don't spend huge amounts of time in the car. I would most likely buy a portable receiver that has a home/car kit that is compatible, which of course would cost me another $50 each.

The one I was looking at recently was the S 50 which they seem to be phasing out. I like that it's a portable radio, but it's main fault is that you can't listen to live music on the go. You have to save the programs you want to listen to onto the radio while it is docked and then you can listen to that saved content while your on the go. Their newest portable, the SL10 costs over $100 more which I am not even considering. The real kicker of the whole thing is the subscription. Yes, I could just buy one of their expensive radios and be done with it. However, then you have to pay their monthly service charge. I just can't see myself paying that when there are other important things we are saving for, namely a house. So thats where I am. I will keep listening to the news reports and I'm sure I'll have more periods where I seriously consider buying one. But for now I'm going to wait. Maybe one day they will merge and you will be able to get XM and Sirius in one. I wish I knew someone who had one so I could play with it.

No comments: