Monday, March 23, 2009

Couch To 5k

I decided to give running a try. I am out of shape and I wish I had the stamina to run. I also wouldn't mind looking like a runner. I tried running on the treadmill one afternoon last week and realized what bad shape I was in. I ran for about 7 minutes out of twenty total.

When I was finished I talked to a few friends about it. One brought an internet site to my attention. It is called Couch To 5k. It is basically an interval running program that lasts 9 weeks. It's for people who are out of shape to slowly increase the amount of running you do and decrease the amount of walking you do in a thirty minute session. In the end you will be able to supposedly run 3 miles in 30 minutes. It sounds really cool actually. There are support forums and all sorts of podcasts you can download. I downloaded one that includes techno music. It has the guy who created it in the background telling you when to run and when to walk. There are a variety of podcasts out there with all different sorts of music genres.

This site gives a breakdown of the different walking and running intervals that you go through each week. I am starting my first week today. I did do a trial run on Saturday and surprised myself. I thought I wouldn't be able to finish the whole podcast and would tire out. However, I actually finished the whole podcast and didn't have any troubles. I was very proud of myself. It made me look forward to today when I am really starting. I hope the excitement continues I continue to move through the weeks successfully.

No comments: